Product Developer Job Description
Position: Product Developer
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Duration: Minimum 9 month contract; this position is full time requiring a minimum of 40 hours a week. This position will begin January 2013.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Sseko will provide a monthly stipend and international health insurance.
Reports to: This position will report directly to the Director of Operations and will also work directly with the lead product designer in the United States.
About: The Sseko Product Designer will spend their time researching and designing new product lines, developing production systems and mentoring Sseko team members in production. We are looking for a design maverick that can follow designs through creation, set up, pattern, sewing, production scaling, merchandising and packaging presentation. We are looking for a team member who can lead and supervise new product development from design through production. Must be a creative DIYer who thrives in the challenge of creating beautiful, unique products with relatively limited resources. The Sseko US design team will guide your work, but we are looking for someone who takes initiative and can work with minimal guidance.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Determine availability of materials for producing new/ developing existing products
- Work to create new products marketable in the US
- Design new product lines and production systems
- Create a thorough step-by-step production plan for each product
- Teach Sseko team members how to create all facets of the new product lines
- Create and implement systems for quality control management
- Work closely with the Sseko Directors to maintain: high quality production, efficiency, innovation and market relevance
- Travel to various locations in the East African region to find materials, meet with suppliers, etc.
- Contribute to a work environment of dignity, honor and empowerment while having a blast doing all things Sseko!
- Love on and learn from our incredible team in Uganda
- Use your creativity and artistic inspiration to create opportunity and empower women
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- A degree and /or experience in the fashion industry
- Proficient in sewing, pattern-making and creating proto-types
- Experience working in an international setting
- Experience working with industrial sewing machines
- Experience working in footwear, accessories, handbags and leather is a plus
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Must work well under pressure
- Creative problem solver who can thrive with limited resources
- Skilled at multitasking and achieving deadlines
- Must be able to make necessary sacrifices of living in a developing country and possess a respectful attitude towards cultures different than your own.
- Adaptable to frequent change and limitations
If you are interested in applying, please fill out an application here. Once you have submitted your application, email an electronic portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates who do not submit a portfolio will not be considered.